Bow Headband Tutorial

I’ve been working on a Sweet spring coord for my AatP Ticking Clock JSK, but I’ve been unable to find headwear that matches the style I’m going for. I remembered my resolution to complete at least 6 Lolita-related sewing projects in 2017, so I decided this could be the perfect opportunity! Unfortunately I was in a hurry, so if you plan to follow along please measure better than I did, and slow down on stitching to ensure that your stitches are straight.

I started off with 1/8 yard of my chosen fabric, 1 1/4 yards of gold trim, and a thin headband.

First, I decided how wide I wanted my bow to be (based on the width of my headband), doubled that, and added 1 inch​ to the result. Then I cut a strip of fabric at that width, folded the strip in half lengthwise with wrong sides together, and ironed it flat.

I unfolded the strip, which now had a crease as a halfway marker.

Next, I folded one edge to the middle crease and pressed that to make a quarter way marker.

I wanted gold trim down the center of my bow, so I pinned it over the quarter-way crease and then hand-stitched it in place.

I cut a small (about 5 inch) section off of one end of the strip. That would be the center of my bow.

Next, I folded both sections lengthwise with right-sides together and ironed them flat.

I sewed 1/4 inch away from the edge all the way around both strips (even on the creased edge, so the gold trim would stay in the middle), leaving a small (about 1 inch) gap in the middle of the open side of the longer piece, and on one of the far ends of the short piece. Afterwards, I trimmed all the edges back and cut diagonally across each corner as close to the stitched corners as I could get without cutting through to what would be the outside. I’m afraid I forgot to photograph that step. Sorry!

Using the gaps I left, I turned both pieces right side out.

I ironed both pieces flat again, then  topstitched around the edges. I started this stitching from the middle of the gaps I had left. This way, the start and end of the stitch would be covered when the bow is finished.

Working from the center and being sure to maintain symmetry, I hand-stitched small folds into the longer strip. 

Finally, I stitched the short piece around the center of the longer strip to create a bow shape, trimmed of any hanging threads, and then sewed the entire bow to my headband. It looks sloppy on its own, but is completely covered when worn.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s